[fli4l] alix.2d3 installation problem

Alexander Dahl lespocky at web.de
Mi Apr 15 09:11:28 CEST 2020

Hello,

Alexander Dahl schrieb Dienstag, 14. April 2020, 23:32 (CEST):
> Bernard schrieb Dienstag, 14. April 2020, 17:02 (CEST):
>> 00:0c.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Ralink corp. Device [1814:0801]
>>          Subsystem: Gemtek Technology Co., Ltd Device [17f9:0028]
>
> That PCI ID 1814:0801 is not known by the Linux kernel, not in master
> which is at v5.7-rc1 currently. I'm not entirely sure what to do about
> this now, we could ask on the netdev mailing list, maybe someone knows
> that card. It might help, if you have a precise description, e.g.
> everything printed on the card, maybe some pictures?
>
> Maybe there's a non mainline driver for this, or someone has it already
> in development?
>
> We could just add that PCI ID to the driver, but that's more or less
> crossing fingers and seeing if it works, that might as well just fail at
> runtime. Without knowing some details of the card, this is not the best
> idea in my opinion.

I did a little more research and found this:

- https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/rt2880_inic
- https://dflund.se/~triad/krad/dlink-dir-685/bootlog-orig.txt
- https://github.com/canalplus/r7oss/tree/master/G5/src/rt3662-modules-2.4.0.9.10
- https://github.com/kovz/ralink_inic

So it seems there is some out-of-tree vendor source code, but nothing in
mainline. I consider getting this to work would be an ambitious project.
If you're not really into kernel development, it's probably easier to
get another card, which is supported.

HTH & Greets
Alex

--
GnuPG-FP: C28E E6B9 0263 95CF 8FAF  08FA 34AD CD00 7221 5CC6