[jacorb-developer] WG: JacORB versus IBM Websphere

Timothy Astle timothy.astle at caris.com
Wed Feb 8 16:58:21 CET 2012

I think you're correct in your last assumption below, though I'm not a
WebSphere user.

Follow the steps here and see if it works for you:
http://www.jacorb.org/TomcatHowto.html

Really, the above steps apply for a Oracle Java Virtual Machine (little
to do with Tomcat).  From what I recall, you're telling the JVM to use a
different implementation of CORBA than the one provided.

You may also want to read through this too:
http://www.jacorb.org/FAQ.html

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I believe you get a class cast
exception when you don't instruct the JVM to use the JacORB
implementation of CORBA instead of whatever is provided by default.  For
a Oracle VM, the exception starts like this "com.sun.corba"  Are you
using the Oracle JVM or IBM's J9?  Your class cast exception starts with
"com.ibm.CORBA"

Hope this helps.  I'm not a user of the IBM stack so these are all guesses.

Tim