[jacorb-developer] Charset negotiation error in multiple threads with JacORB 3.9

Amadeu Barbosa amadeu at tecgraf.puc-rio.br
Wed Jan 17 13:46:11 CET 2018

Hi,

Please, clarify to me: both server and client are using JacORB? Are you
using IOR references in order to connect to your corba server?

Few days ago I studied the codeset negotiation and I provided an
implementation of server-side codeset negotiation to our own ORB for the
Lua language (
http://webserver2.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~maia/lua/oil/v06/index.html and my
fork at https://git.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/engdist/oil). In my case, I have
tested against JacORB and I didn't notice any problem with JacORB
client-side codeset capabilities.

The client-side codeset negotiation in CORBA expect two possible behaviours:

A) The client must extract the IOR Profile tag 1 with
CONV_FRAME.CodeSetComponent struct payload that contains the supported
server-side codepages.
    But at this point you should be using IOR references (corbaloc
references doesn't contain any IOR profile itself).

B) When it's not possible to identify the server-side codepages or even
that codepages aren't supported at client-side as specified at (A) then the
client-side must sends a service_context on the first request of a
connection with the codepages supported (see: CONV_FRAME.CodeSetContext
struct).
    So the server-side must convert strings itself.

In order words, the CORBA spec didn't expect a full handshake of codepages.
There is only these two oportunities to set up. In my production
environment we didn't use NamingService or IOR references neither, we relay
on corbaloc references. It became a problem to me on codepages conversion
because my server-side will must convert all strings and I am not able to
use client-side conversion.

If you're using a server-side other than JacORB you must check if it is
able to identify the CONV_FRAME.CodeSetContext at very first request on a
connection.

--
Amadeu A. Barbosa Junior
http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~amadeu