[jacorb-developer] Delay in serial communication

Kujtim Hyseni kujtimhyseni at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 26 15:04:56 CEST 2012

Hello,

> > Hello Nick,
> >
> > Ok, I will do what you have suggested. But, I have some questions regarding the process...
> >
> > *) Will someone of JacORB team contact me later when they begin to test my code
> > *) You probably don't have 8051 microcontroller at back-end (to receive response from), but you will need to "simulate" it, thus, you will need "another" PC which communicates with PC hosting the JacORB server I am submitting. The "other" PC will listen at sepcified port and respond sime message which syntax is: first byte=length, other bytes of length-1 any contect. Probbaly I will need to supply you with the code of "other" PC
> > *) But first, please do more simple test - a simple server, with an interface with just one method with no parameters which returns void but implements  Thread.sleep(5000); instruction and see how it affects your PC. In Windows: please start media player or see how your whole operating system is blocked.
> >

> Is the 5000 ms representative of how long your process takes to finish or the delay you're seeing in a simple RPC call? If your
> process is taking > 5000 ms to finish, but you want to respond to the asynchronous callbacks from your serial communication, you may
> need to queue up the RPC calls using a worker/queue model or call them in parallel using a worker thread per call.
>
> If you're seeing 5000 ms per call and you expect it to be on the order of a millisecond, I would look at your network configuration
> and make sure that DNS is configured correctly or use IP addresses and turn off DNS lookups using:
>
> # Use DNS names in IORs
> jacorb.dns.enable=off
>
> If you're using a Naming service, maybe there is an issue there as well with finding it such as reported here:
> http://www.coderanch.com/t/495063/java/java/Jacorb-stop-trying-connect-server
>
> Like I mentioned, you should be easily seeing sub-millisecond responses from a simple void ping() RPC call using JacORB, anything
> greater likely points to a network configuration issue.
>
> Rob

Instead of Thread.sleep you may use multiple for/while structures to
insert delay. The aim is to illustrate how it affects the system-Windows
 XP. It blocks everything: task manager, other applications to run etc.

It is just to illustrate the effect of jacorb when there are operations to be executed that are time consuming ...

Kujtim